martes, 15 de septiembre de 2020

Journal 1 (second module)

 In the session of today, I review some of my insight about critical theory and the importance of critical turn in education. Besides, I learned about the different kind of text because I used to think that a text is a written piece of information that give us input about certain topics. However, I could undertand now that texts come in different presentations, it can be aural, visual, audiovisual, written, etc. Besides, something important about a text is that it gives us an amount of meaning, both implicit and explicit. It depends on us how to contruct those meanings, it can have different perspectives according to each person's experience and something really good is to have the opportunity to share our view, insights, and ideas about certain topics, specially touchy topics which commonly bring discussion into the classroom. Language is so important for our society specially for us as language teachers, we have to undertand the important role of it in the classroom, it is how student get information, can express their thoughts, and can establish a discussion with others. 

Something else that I take from this lesson is a great quote by Giroux which focuses on the meaning of being literate, this has been traditionally refered to a person who can write and read, but this is not longer the meaning. All society has changed and also the basic skills that humans need. Thus, being literate goes beyond to read and write, it is about being able to understand new worlds view and challenges, and it is also about being skillful in information and communication technology. 

Glossary:

Text: A piece written, visual, or spoken information that may be regarded as an object of critical analysis.

Implicit meaning: Something is implied but not stated directly.

Explicit meaning: Something is made clear and stated directly.

Literacy: It consist on knowing how to read the world more than words. 

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario